How to Remove a LinkedIn Recommendation or Request a Revision
LinkedIn recommendations can be very helpful in helping you find the right job. While people generally have good intentions, not all recommendations may meet the criteria you need to find that perfect job. In that case, you can remove a recommendation you’ve received or request a revision. Here’s what you do:
- Hover your mouse over the Profile link from the top navigation bar and then choose Edit Profile from the menu that appears.
- Scroll down to the Recommendations section and hover your mouse over the Recommendations header. Click the Manage button that appears to the right of that header to bring up the Recommendations page. Click the Received tab on the Recommendations page. Doing so takes you to the Recommendations You’ve Received page.
- Scroll down the page to find the position from your Experience list that the recommendation is tied to, and you will see all the recommendations for that position.
- To remove a recommendation, deselect the check box next to the recommendation. This will automatically hide your recommendation. At any time, you can come back to this screen and select the check box to add the recommendation back to your profile.
- To request a new or revised recommendation, hover your mouse over the recommendation text and click the Ask for Changes link that appears. This brings up a new Recommendation message screen, where you can write a brief note explaining why you’re requesting a change.
- Click Send Message to send the request for changes to your recommendation.
Negotiating the social graces around recommendations might feel a little awkward at first, but with some practice, you’ll quickly become comfortable. By both giving and receiving good recommendations, you’ll build your public reputation, increase your social capital with your connections, and have a good excuse for renewing relationships with people you haven’t contacted recently.