Reinforce Your Brand with a Background Image on LinkedIn
LinkedIn profiles used to be so plain, especially when compared with Twitter and Facebook where you are able to upload large, eye-catching banner images. LinkedIn eventually came around and now allows you to upload a background image to visually spice up your profile.
This background image is only visible to LinkedIn members who view your profile while logged in. The background image doesn’t appear on your public profile.
When choosing a LinkedIn background image, make sure the image matches your personal/professional brand and conveys your unique message. Choose images that inspire you or reflect what you do.
Here are some ideas:
- An image of the products you sell or produce
- A picture of your office building or interior
- A team photo
- An illustration or photo that shows an analogy of what you do (lighthouse, magnifying glass, owl, tree, and so on)
- A picture of you at a podium or presenting in front of an audience
The image you choose must be professional and it must reflect your personal brand.
LinkedIn’s background image is responsive, which means the image can grow and shrink depending on the screen size of the device you are using to view it. Think in terms of the screen size differences between a desktop monitor, a laptop, and a little iPhone. These different devices all have different screen sizes. Utilizing a responsive image means that your profile should look good regardless of what device is used to view it.
Because the background image is responsive, there are areas of the image that you almost always see and other areas where you may only sometimes see. This means you have to be careful with the image you select and the placement of any logos.
The figure shows the portion of the background image that is universally visible and the areas that are sometimes visible. To download this image to use as a template, access it here.
When choosing your background image, make sure the focal point of the image is not located in an area that is not visible.
Premium LinkedIn members get to choose different background images from a gallery. As wonderful it is to have already created background images, these images are overused and no longer unique. Don’t use LinkedIn’s background images and find something unique to you and your brand.
Now that you have a beautiful background image, here’s how to add it to your LinkedIn profile:
- Open your LinkedIn profile.
- Hover your mouse pointer over the top part of your profile where your background image will go and click the Edit Background button that appears.
- Click the Upload button. An Open dialog box appears.
- Locate the background image file from your hard drive and click Open.
The image is uploaded and appears in preview mode. Dragging your mouse over the preview image allows you to align it.
- Once you are happy with the alignment of your image, click Save.
Your background image appears at the top of your profile.