Let LinkedIn Help You Connect
Under My Network on LinkedIn’s navigation bar is People You May Know. This is a great page that most people overlook. LinkedIn shows you connection recommendations of people you may possibly know and may like to connect with on LinkedIn. These recommendations are based on similar profile information.
You may have gone to school with the person LinkedIn is recommending, or maybe you worked at the same company, or maybe you have similar experiences or work in the same industry.
LinkedIn also extrapolates people you may know from your email and mobile address books. Don’t worry: LinkedIn never reads your messages; it just looks for email address matches.
To use People You May Know to make more connections, follow these steps:
- Hover your mouse pointer over My Network and click People You May Know.
- Scan through the list of profiles that appear, and click the Connect button when you see a person you want to invite into your first-degree network.
By clicking Connect, you are sending a non-personalized invitation. If you want to personalize your invitation, go to step 3.
- Click the profile picture of the suggested person.
His or her LinkedIn profile opens.
- Click the Connect button that appears next to that person’s profile picture, as shown.
- Choose how you know the person: Colleague, Classmate, We’ve Done Business Together, Friend, or Other.
- Add a personalized note in the text field.
- Click the Send Invitation button. A personalized invitation is sent.