How to Accept a LinkedIn Recommendation
If you want to request a LinkedIn recommendation, you might try supplying a prewritten recommendation. One of the perks of writing the recommendation for the other person is how quick the recommendation is usually accepted and posted. Most people, when provided with a pre-written recommendation, post it almost immediately. You’ll know when the person responds because LinkedIn sends an email notification.
In addition to the email, you also get a LinkedIn message from the person giving the recommendation. This message contains a preview of the recommendation and a link to manage your recommendations. Here’s how to accept it:
- Go to www.linkedin.com/recs/received. Under Pending Recommendations, you see a picture of the recommender and a preview of the recommendation.
- Hover your mouse pointer over the recommendation preview and choose to either Add To Profile or Ask For Changes.
- If you need to request a change, click Ask for Changes. A pop-up message appears.
- In the text area, type the reason you are requesting a change.
A preview of the recommendation appears below the editable area. To make it as easy for the person as possible, highlight the recommendation and right-click with your mouse to copy it. Paste the recommendation into the editable area and make the change for the person.
- Click Send.
It may seem insulting and wrong to request a replacement, but it’s an important thing to do. You don’t want to publish a recommendation filled with typos. That would defeat the purpose of the recommendation.
- If the recommendation looks great, click Add to Profile.
Sometimes you receive recommendations you do not want on your LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn doesn’t easily provide a way to archive or delete recommendations. The best thing to do is to accept the recommendation and then immediately go to the Manage Recommendations area and remove the check mark so that the recommendation does not show up on your profile. If the person recommending you has a poor reputation or the recommendation isn’t authentic or genuine, it is best to simply accept it and remove it from view.