Inserting Sound Files in a PowerPoint Slide
To play sound in a PowerPoint 2007 presentation, you insert a sound file in a slide. How and when the sound is heard is up to you. You can make the sound file play automatically when the slide appears or start playing when you click.
Before you insert your sound file on a slide, ask yourself, “Do I want the sound file to start playing when the slide appears or when I click the Sound icon?” PowerPoint places a Sound icon on a slide to remind you that sound plays while the slide is on-screen. Clicking the Sound icon gives you more control over when the file starts playing, although you have to remember to click to start playing the sound. You can hide the Sound icon or leave it on a slide to remind yourself to click to start playing sounds.
Follow these steps to insert a sound file in a slide:
1. Click the Insert tab.
2. Insert the sound file.
You can insert the file in the Insert Sound dialog box or Clip Organizer:
• Selecting a sound file on your computer or network: Click the Sound button. Then select a sound file in the Insert Sound dialog box and click OK.
• Selecting a sound file in the Clip Organizer: Open the drop-down list on the Sound button and choose Sound from Clip Organizer on the drop-down list. The Clip Organizer opens in a task pane. Locate the sound and double-click it.
3. Choose Automatically or When Clicked in the dialog box that asks how you want the sound to start playing.
Here are your choices:
• Automatically: Click this button to make the sound play automatically as soon as the slide appears.
• When Clicked: Click this button to play the sound when you click the Sound icon.
Don’t worry about choosing right. You can always change your mind about when a sound plays.
A Sound icon appears on the slide to remind you that sounds are supposed to play when your slide is on-screen. You can change the size of this icon by selecting it and dragging a corner handle or going to the (Sound Tools) Options tab and entering new Height and Width measurements. You can also drag it into an out-of-the-way corner.
To remove a sound file from a slide, select the Sound icon and then press the Delete key.