What are Coconut Oil Benefits?
Coconut oil has many benefits for the body. This substance is high in natural saturated fats and rich in antioxidants. Lauric acid is also present and contributes approximately 40 percent of the overall makeup. This and other valuable components make coconut oil ideal for treating a variety of conditions.
You will get the most benefits when using a high-quality, non-processed coconut oil.
General health benefits of coconut oil
Coconut oil is a great way to reap many health benefits using a completely naturally occurring substance. The following are some general health effects that coconut oil has on the body.
- Strengthens your immune system: The lauric acid present in coconut oil is known to fight bacteria.
- Improves memory function: This oil fuels brain cells, improving the ability to recall information.
- Boosts energy: Coconut oil improves metabolism. In addition, the medium-chain fatty acids help to break down fat.
- Helps lower high blood pressure and is used to prevent heart disease: Coconut oil is high is natural saturated fats, helping you to increase the body’s “good” cholesterol. It is also helpful in turning “bad” cholesterol into “good” cholesterol. Lowering the probability of heart disease is an added benefit.
- Useful in healing UTIs and is good for the kidney: The medium-chain fatty acids present in the oil break up the lipid coating on bacteria.
- Good for digestion: Coconut oil helps the body absorb fat-soluble vitamins, calcium, and magnesium. all of which help to improve digestion.
- Effective for weight loss: The ability to increase energy can help with weight loss. Also, coconut oil helps the body burn excess fat and increases your metabolic rate.
- Helps you build muscle: The presence of medium-chain fatty acids aids in the building of muscles.
- Stronger bones and reduced chance of osteoporosis: Coconut oil improves the absorption of calcium and magnesium. These two minerals are essential for strong bones.
Alternative uses for coconut oil
Coconut oil has many benefits for your internal health, but what about caring for your body externally? This seemingly magical substance also offers several benefits for other parts of the body. Take a look.
- Helps improve skin issues: Coconut oil has protective properties and the antioxidant agents make it ideal for treating skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, burns, and irritation. You can also use as a general moisturizer to help improve your skin.
- Effective for improving oral health and treating periodontal disease: The properties of coconut oil make it an ideal candidate for oil pulling. Oil pulling involves swishing oil in the mouth for cleansing. This practice has also been linked to overall health improvement.
- Anti-aging properties: The antioxidant properties found in coconut oil help slow aging.
- Hair Care: Because of the fatty acids present in coconut oil, you can use it help fix dry, brittle hair, or even as a regular conditioner. Coconut oil is especially effective for helping to regrow damaged hair.
- Treatment of infections: When applied, coconut oil creates a chemical barrier that blocks bacteria and viruses, protecting infected areas and allowing them to heal.
- Diaper rash treatment: For those suffering from persistent diaper rashes, coconut oil acts as a soothing agent and protects the area from further infection.
Use and storage of coconut oil
Coconut oil should be stored at room temperature. Because it has a higher melting point than other oils, coconut oil is typically a solid. However, if stored in a hot room or pantry, you may notice it becoming a liquid consistency.
- If you plan to consume coconut oil, it is often more easily manipulated as a solid. Simply scoop out the desired amount and mix into your desired recipe.
- When using coconut oil as a topical treatment for skin or hair, many people prefer it as a liquid so that if can be easily absorbed. If your coconut oil has solidified, simply place in the sun or place a container in a larger bowl of warm water. The oil melts easily. To apply, simply scoop out the amount you want and apply to the desired area.
Do not refrigerate.