Copying CDs and DVDs with the Roxio Disc Copier
Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 includes a nifty program that enables you to make duplicates of any noncopy-protected CD or DVD — even if your computer system has only a single CD or DVD drive. This program, called the Roxio Disc Copier, is especially useful when you need to make additional copies of CD or DVD discs that you burned either with Drag to Disc or Creator Classic.
To make a disc copy with Disc Copier, you follow these easy steps:
1. Put the CD or DVD that you want copied into your computer’s CD or DVD drive.
Now you’re ready to launch the Roxio Disc Copier application.
2. Click Applications on the Home tab of the Roxio Media Creator Home, and then click the Disc Copier link in the Applications Project Window.
The Roxio Disc Copier alert dialog box then appears, warning you that unless you own the copyright or have the explicit permission of the copyright holder to copy the disc, you may be violating the Copyright law and be subject to legal penalties (such as fines and even perhaps damages). When you click the OK button to close this alert dialog box, the Roxio Disc Copier window appears. This window is divided into a Source pane on the left and a Destination pane on the right.
3. Click the Advanced button to expand the Roxio Disc Copier window to show information on the disc you want to copy and source and destination drive.
An expanded version of Roxio Disc Copier window appears. This version shows the type of disc to be copied, as well as the recorder and write speed, and enables you to change these settings and to increase the number of copies to make.
4. (Optional) Your computer may have more than a disc drive (such as a CD-ROM and a DVD recorder). If so, select the appropriate drive (the one with the disc you want to copy) on the Drive drop-down list in the Source pane. In the Destination pane, activate the Recorder drop-down list and select the drive that contains the blank disc to which the files are to be copied.
5. Click Copy Now button to begin the disc copy operation.
The Roxio Disc Copier – Progress Information dialog box then appears, keeping you apprised of the copy operation by displaying Finished and Disc Progress sliders showing you the percentage completed and the elapsed time.
If your computer has only one CD or DVD drive which acts both as the source and destination, the Roxio Disc Copier copies all the disc files to a temporary location on your hard disk. Disc Copier then automatically ejects the disc you’re copying and displays a message that prompts you to replace the ejected disc with a blank disc of the same media type.
After you click OK, the Select Write Speed dialog box may appear, enabling you to select a new write speed for the disc copy (to use the same write speed, simply click the Continue Recording button in this dialog box). When Completed appears under the progress bar that has now reached 100% in Roxio Disc Copier – Progress Information dialog box, the program ejects the copied disc and you can then either launch the Label Creator application to design and print a label for the newly copied or close the Roxio Disc Copier application.
6. To create a label for the disc copy, click the Create a Label button. To close the Roxio Disc Copier Progress Information dialog box and return to the Roxio Disc Copier window, click the Close button instead.
If you don’t choose to make a label for your new disc copy, you can then close the Roxio Disc Copier application by clicking its Close button in the upper-right corner of the window.