How to Grow and Harvest Trees in Minecraft
Trees are an important resource in Minecraft, as you have to effectively harvest them early on in the game in order to survive and progress (unless in Creative mode). Since trees provide wood blocks, used to craft many basic tools and weapons, it’s important to know how to collect items that drop after you begin chopping down a tree. However, trees aren’t only important for the beginning of the game. Learning how to grow a tree in Minecraft, and even plant your own tree farm, will allow you to have a constant source of wood and other benefits. There are six types of trees available in the game including oak, spruce, birch, jungle, acacia, and dark oak.
Punching Wood or Harvesting Trees
Punching wood, the Minecraft term for harvesting trees, is the only way to begin and advance in any game, and it’s the first step regardless of level of difficulty or strategy. Start the crafting process by chopping down nearby trees. Everything you need to build a shelter requires some form of wood, and the most efficient way to get it is to harvest trees.
Look for a place with a good number of trees. (If you’re too far away from any plants, you may want to create a new world.)
To start, chop down a couple of trees, which are made of wood blocks and leaf blocks. To break a block from the tree, follow these steps:
Walk up to a tree.
Using the mouse, position the crosshair over a block in the tree.
Click and hold the left mouse button to start punching the block until it breaks.
Collect the item that appears.
The item should come directly to you, but if you’re too far away, just walk up to the item to collect it. The resource is added to the inventory at the bottom of the screen.
Ignore the leaves on the tree for now because they decay naturally with nothing supporting them. Destroyed leaf blocks sometimes give sapling items, which you don’t need for crafting essential items.
How to Grow a Tree in Minecraft
Now that you know how to extract all of the important items from trees, the next step is knowing how to plant trees. The process to produce trees in Minecraft is similar to real-life. You need to dig a hole, plant seeds (saplings), nurture the plant (using bone meals), and watch it grow! Step by step instructions for growing a tree include:
- Dig a hole in the ground. Holes only need to be dug 1 block down for growing trees!
- Plant a sapling by placing it in the hole. The type of sapling you use determines the type of tree that grows. For example, oak saplings will grow oak trees.
- Fertilize the sapling by using bone meal. If you have bone meals available, they will make the tree fully develop extremely quickly. If not, don’t worry. The tree will still grow to normal size within the next day!
Planting a Tree Farm
Planting one tree may have limited benefits, but if you build a tree farm in Minecraft, you will have an abundant source of wood! This will make your digital life much easier, as you won’t have to travel the terrain anytime you need wood for crafting or building. To make a tree farm, follow the steps below:
- After digging your first hole, move 4 blocks to the right and dig another hole.
- Repeat this until you have a row of 4 holes, with 3 empty blocks between each hole. Note: You can make your tree farm as large as you want, just be sure to have a similar space between each tree, allowing it to fully grow.
- Plant saplings in all of the holes. Make sure that you use the same type of tree sapling for a true tree farm.
- Harvest your trees, collect new saplings, and continue to grow your farm.
As a player, you can customize your tree farm to your liking either by enclosing it within a fence, placing a roof above it, or using it to start your very own garden. The sky is the limit!