Become an Active Member of Your Local Security Chapter
Many security organizations around the world have local chapters, perhaps in or near your community. Here’s a short list of some organizations that you may be interested in:
- International Systems Security Association (ISSA)
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA)
- Society for Information Management (SIM)
- Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP)
- ASIS International
- High Technology Crime Investigation Association (HTCIA)
- Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS)
- The Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Disaster Recovery Institute International (DRII)
- Computer Technology Investigators Network (CTIN)
Local security groups provide excellent opportunities to find peers in other organizations and to discover more about your profession. Many people find that the contacts they make as part of their involvement with local security organizations can be especially valuable when looking for new career opportunities.
You certainly can find many, many more security organizations that have local chapters, beyond the ones we include in the preceding list. Ask your colleagues and others about security organizations and clubs in your community.