How to Add Text and Username Tags to Your Instagram Story
Adding text to your photo or video can add context (and often humor) to your Instagram Story. You can also tag another user using text. Follow these steps to add text or username tags:
- Take a photo or video in Instagram Stories, or upload a photo or video there.
- Tap Aa at the top right of your screen.
A new screen with a keyboard appears.
- Type your word or phrase (emojis work here too).
You can change the text color and size:
- To change the text color from white, the default, tap a colored circle. Scroll left or right to reveal more color choices or tap and hold down on a color circle to reveal another color selection palette.
- To change the type size, find the slider on the left side of the page and move it up or down.
- If you want to tag someone, type @username and select the person from the suggested profiles.
The person will be notified that you tagged him or her in your Story.
- Tap Done.
- (Optional) Make further changes:
- Move the text by tapping and holding down on the text and then sliding it to its new position.
- Change the type size by placing two fingers on the text and sliding your fingers apart or together.
- Change the angle of the text by placing two fingers on the text and twisting left or right.
- Share the Story by tapping Your Story; save it by tapping Save; or send it as a DM by tapping Next, selecting the recipients, and tapping Send.
To create block text (white text that has a color boxed behind it), tap the A at the top of the keyboard screen. Tapping the A again makes the background transparent, and tapping again removes the transparency.