Excel Services for SharePoint
The mechanism that allows for the publishing of Excel documents to SharePoint as interactive web pages is Excel Services. Excel Services is a broader term to describe these three components:
- Excel Calculation Services: Serves as the primary engine of Excel services. This component loads Excel documents, runs calculations on the Excel sheet, and runs the refresh process for any embedded data connection.
- Excel Web Access: Allows users to interact with Excel through a web browser.
- Excel Web Services: Hosted in SharePoint Services, it provides developers with an application programming interface (API) to build custom applications based on the Excel workbook.
When you publish a workbook to Excel Services, your audience can interact with your Excel file in several ways:
- View workbooks that contain a data model and Power View reports.
- Navigate between worksheets.
- Sort and filter data.
- Work with pivot tables.
- Use slicers and pivot table report filters.
- Refresh data for embedded data connections.