How to Clear “Open by Default” Apps from Your Android Device
Fret not, gentle reader and Android user. The settings you choose for the Complete Action Using prompt on your Android device can be undone. For example, if you select the PDF Viewer app, you can undo that choice by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Choose Apps & Notifications. This item is titled Apps in some releases of the Android operating system.
- Choose App info. If you don’t see this item, skip to Step 4.
- Choose the app that always opens. This is the tough step because you must remember which app you chose to “always” open.
- On the app’s screen, choose Open by Default or Set as Default. If the item shows the text Some Defaults Set, you’re on the right track. Apps that haven’t been chosen as the default show the text No Defaults Set.
- Tap the CLEAR DEFAULTS button.
After you clear the defaults for an app, you see the Open With card again. The next time you see it, however, make a better choice.