How to Use iPhone’s One-Handed Keyboard in iOS 11
iOS 11 introduces a much-needed feature for the iPhone to make typing on the onscreen keyboard that much easier: the one-handed keyboard. For those with dexterity issues, or simply for those with smaller hands using the larger iPhones, this option allows the onscreen keyboard to “slide over” to one side or the other to better facilitate typing. If you’ve ever tried to stretch your fingers across your iPhone in an effort to tap a key you can’t quite reach, you know this is a valuable feature.
To access the one-handed keyboard, follow these simple steps:
- Open any app that uses the onscreen keyboard. This example uses Notes.
- With the onscreen keyboard displayed, tap-and-hold the Emoji (smiley face) or International (globe) icon to display the Keyboard Settings menu.
- At the bottom of the Keyboard Settings menu, tap either the left-sided keyboard icon or the right-sided keyboard icon to shift the keyboards keys in the desired direction.
- Your keyboard will now appear either shifted to the left or right.
- To quickly return to the standard keyboard, tap the white arrow to the left or right side of your shifted keyboard (its position depends on which side you shifted your keyboard).