How to Adjust Information on Your Credit Report - dummies

How to Adjust Information on Your Credit Report

If you (and lenders) don’t like the look of your credit report, you may be able to make some changes to that credit report. If you think the credit report doesn’t reflect your true credit history, you can take action.

  • Dispute inaccurate info on your credit report. You can’t legally remove accurate and timely information from your credit report — whether it’s good or bad. But the law does allow you to request an investigation of any information in your file that you believe is out of date, inaccurate, or incomplete.

    Each of the three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) has slightly different procedures for consumers to file disputes, but all three allow you to dispute.

    After the bureau receives a dispute, it contacts the source that provided the data. That source has 30 days in which to respond. If the source can’t verify the data within the time allowed, the information must be removed from your report. If, on the other hand, the information is verified, it stays on your report. In either case, you’re notified in writing of any actions that occur as a result of your dispute.

    If you’re unhappy with the results of your dispute and think you’ve been treated unfairly or haven’t been taken seriously, contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

  • Add positive info to your credit report. The best way to get positive information inserted into your credit report is to make payments to your creditors on time and in the full amount each month. Do so for a year or more, and you’ll have made great strides in improving your credit history and your credit score.

    You can also request that your good accounts be added to your report if they aren’t already showing up, and add a 100-word statement to explain certain information, such as late payments.