The Second Home Screen on Your iPhone
You probably won’t find the icons described here on your iPhone’s Home screen — at least not on the first (main) one. These apps usually appear on the second Home screen. If you just can’t wait to see them, swipe your finger across the screen from right to left and they’ll appear like magic.
Inside the Extras Folder
In the Extras folder you find these icons:
- Compass: The Compass app is kind of like having a magnetic needle compass inside your iPhone, but better.
- Tips: This app provides tips for using your iPhone and iOS 10.
- Voice Memos: This handy little app turns your iPhone into a convenient handheld recording device.
- Contacts: This app stores contact information, which can be synced with iCloud, macOS Contacts, Yahoo! Address Book, Google Contacts, and many more.
- Find Friends: This app shows a map with the locations of friends who have consented to being tracked by Find My Friends.
- Find iPhone: This app displays a map with the last known locations of your family’s iPhones (assuming it’s enabled on each misplaced phone before it was misplaced).
Outside the Extras Folder
In addition to the Extras folder, you find several additional icons on the second Home screen:
- FaceTime: This app is used to make FaceTime video or voice calls to others using Apple devices.
- Calculator: The Calculator app lets you perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Give the phone a quarter turn, however, and you’ll find a nifty scientific calculator that does all that and much more.
- Podcasts: Podcasts used to be included in the Music app but was moved to this stand-alone app in iOS 7. Use it to manage and consume podcasts on your iPhone.
- Watch: This app is used to manage features on your Apple Watch. It’s useless unless you have an Apple Watch.
- iCloud Drive: This new app displays all documents saved to iCloud either in a single, searchable location if you enabled it when you first set up your iPhone or in Settings→iCloud→iCloud Drive.