How to Enable Windows Firewall in Windows 10
A firewall keeps outsiders from accessing your computer via an Internet connection. A firewall is built into Windows 10. T use the Windows Firewall, follow these steps.
- In the Cortana search box, enter Firewall.
- Click Windows Firewall in the search results.
- In the Windows Firewall window that appears, make sure that Windows Firewall is on.
If it isn’t, click the Turn Windows Firewall On or Off link in the left pane of the window.
- In the resulting Customize Settings window, select the Turn on Windows Firewall radio button for Private Networks (such as your home network) and/or Public Networks (such as a coffee shop) and then click OK.
- Click the Close button to close the Windows Firewall window.
A firewall is a program that protects your computer from the outside world. This is generally a good thing, unless you use a Virtual Private Network (VPN), often used in a corporate setting.
Using a firewall with a VPN can restrict you from sharing files and using some other VPN features.
Antivirus and security software programs may offer their own firewall protection and may display a message asking if you want to switch. Check their features against Windows and then decide, but usually most firewall features are comparable. The important thing is to have one activated.