How to Get a Job as a Medical Coding and Billing Associate - dummies

How to Get a Job as a Medical Coding and Billing Associate

To score a job as a biller and coder, you must get certified by a reputable credentialing organization such as the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or the AAPC (formerly known as the American Academy of Professional Coders). Here’s a quick overview:

  • The AAPC is the credentialing organization that offers Certified Professional Coder (CPC) credentials. The AAPC training focuses on physician offices and outpatient hospital-based coding.

  • The AHIMA coding certifications — Correct Coding Specialist (CCS) and Certified Coding Associate (CCA) — are intended to certify the coder who has demonstrated proficiency in inpatient and outpatient hospital-based coding, while the Correct Coding Specialist Physician-Based (CCS-P) is, as its name indicates, for coders who work for individual physicians.

All sorts of other specialty certifications are also available.

To choose which certification — AHIMA or AAPC — best fits your career goals, first think about the type of training program you want. Second, examine your long-term career goals. What kind of medical billing and coding job do you ultimately want to do, in what sort of facility do you want to work, and how do you want to spend your time each day?

To get certified, you must pass an exam administered by the credentialing organization.