How Managers Can Combat Millennial Fatigue
Millennials are a hot topic. Google the word “Millennial” and 12 articles will pop up from the past hour — or at least it’ll feel like it. The challenge is that the media hasn’t really decided how it feels about Millennials. Does it hate them? Love them? Think they’re the corporate plague? Or the corporate miracle? Regardless, the word “Millennial” has oversaturated media’s conversation.
Have you fallen victim to the Millennial fatigue epidemic? Take this quiz:
- Do you cringe every time someone says the word “Millennial”?
- Do you groan when you see your organization has decided to conduct a generational training?
- Are you tired of reading information about Millennials that doesn’t align with the people you work with?
- Would you rather hear nails on a chalkboard for 5 minutes than sit through a 90-minute presentation on Millennials?
- Are you wondering when you’re going to hear any information about Generation Xers or Baby Boomers?
If you answered yes to any of the preceding questions, don’t despair. Many other have felt your plight. Consider how you can cure your fatigue:
- Seek out information and articles that avoid negativity, lack bias, and tell the story behind the statistics.
- Ask the Millennials you manage to lead the Millennial conversation.
- Spread your generational reading to Gen Xers and Boomers.
- Hire BridgeWorks to do a generational training that’s actually entertaining and helpful (a little self-promotion never hurt anyone, right?).
- Read Managing Millennials For Dummies in chunks, as it’s intended to be read.