|Annual income 2014
|Number of independent sellers
|Number of products available
So the question: to eBay or to Amazon? The main differences eBay offers are really quite simple:
- The atmosphere is different. It’s more of a market for individuals to list and sell personal goods at discount.
- eBay doesn’t offer to take inventory of your goods and sell them for you as Amazon will. eBay provides you with guidelines and tools for selling your items successfully, but you do the rest. With Amazon, you can sell your products with Amazon.com as the payment processing system for your shopping cart or Amazon’s; or you can become an Amazon seller, paying a monthly fee for Amazon to list and fulfill your product.
- The selling fees are lower with eBay; so, too, is the volume.
- Consumer perception is that eBay is like a big garage sale with a few new items mixed in, and Amazon is a trusted brand with everything new and trendy and easily returnable.
- List your product in two categories. Some customers may not know which category to search in, so list your products in the categories that make sense. For example, if you’re selling a winter coat, list it as a jacket and a winter sports coat and see what happens. You should be able to track which listing made it to the shopping cart as well. It may cost more to do this, but if you don’t get noticed, you don’t get sales.
- Offer free shipping. eBay prefers listings with free shipping and gives them preference in its rank ordering of search results. Amazon offers free shipping to Prime customers, so it’s becoming more and more expected. If you offer free shipping, make sure you cover at least the cost of standard shipping in the overall price you list.
- Avoid keyword spamming. Keyword spamming is when you slip a popular keyword into your item description that doesn’t really belong there. For example, saying, “If you love Ralph Lauren’s designs, you’ll love these bath towels,” is against eBay policy and may get your listing — and you — kicked off if the towels aren’t actually Ralph Lauren towels.
- Become the top seller. Both sites rate independent sellers and list reviews. Be sure to offer fast, responsive, and honest transactions at all times to maintain a high seller rating. Just one bad review can send shoppers to the next item listed, and because it takes only seconds to move on in a digital store environment, they most assuredly will.