How to Export and Import Bank Feed Rules in QuickBooks Online
When your client takes advantage of bank feeds and downloads transactions from the bank to his QuickBooks Online company, you can help ensure that the transactions post properly. In many cases, the rules used by one client can apply to another, so, rather than re-creating rules, export them from one client and import them to another.
When you export rules, QBO exports all the rules in the client’s company. You can selectively import rules.
To export rules from a client company, open that company and follow these steps:
- Choose Transactions → Banking.
- On the Bank and Credit Cards page, click the down arrow beside the Update button in the upper right corner of the page.
- Click Manage Rules.
QBO displays the Rules page.
- Click the down arrow beside the New Rule button and choose Export Rules.
QBO creates an Excel file containing the rules and stores it in your Downloads folder. The name of the file includes the name of the client whose rules you exported and the words, “Bank_Feed_Rules.”
QBO displays the directions for what you do next.
- Switch to the company to which you want to import these rules.
- Repeat Steps 1 to 4 above; in Step 4, choose Import Rules.
QBO starts a wizard that helps you import the rules.
- On the first Import Rules wizard screen, select the file you created in Step 4 and click Next.
- On the second wizard screen, select the rules you want to import and click Next.
- On the third wizard screen, you have the option to select categories for the rules that match the Chart of Accounts of the client to which you are importing the rules. Make any changes and, when you finish, click Import.
QBO tells you how many rules imported successfully.
- Click Finish.
QBO redisplays the Rules page for the client you opened in Step 5, where you can verify that the rules you wanted to import appear.