How to Help a Dog Injured from Electrical Shock

By M. Christine Zink

Occasionally a dog, usually a puppy, will bite down on an electric cord and suffer electrical shock, often accompanied by burns. The dog may be unconscious and have burns around her mouth and on her tongue.

If you find your dog unconscious near an electrical cord, turn off the power to the socket before touching your dog.

Examine the dog using the A-B-C protocol — checking airway, breathing, and circulation. Administer CPR if the dog is in shock or is unconscious. When the dog is conscious, give first aid for burns and get her to your veterinarian immediately.