MS and the Workplace: When to Call in the EEOC - dummies

MS and the Workplace: When to Call in the EEOC

By Rosalind Kalb, Barbara Giesser, Kathleen Costello

A good resource to know about in case you and your employer can’t come to an agreement about accommodations for your multiple sclerosis (MS) is the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which oversees enforcement of the employment title of the ADA.

Before calling in the big guns, however, it’s a good idea to try to work things out with your employer if at all possible in order to avoid the legal hassles. For instance, if you don’t get your first choice accommodation — because your employer thinks it would be too expensive or too difficult to provide — see if you can come up with a compromise solution.

If, after your best efforts, no agreement is reached, you can file a complaint with the EEOC. The EEOC can also assist you if

  • You believe you’ve been terminated unfairly.

  • Your work environment is hostile or discriminatory.

  • The work environment has negatively changed since your disclosure.

  • You believe you’ve been overlooked for job promotions or training because of your disability.

If you need to file a complaint with the EEOC, be sure that you’re prepared with careful documentation (which you’ve stored on your computer at home rather than at the office!). Take the time to research the system so that you know the ins and outs and can get the most help possible. For instance, it’s important to know that EEOC charges have to be filed within a specific timeframe after the alleged incident.

Visit the website to find the EEOC office nearest you. To read more about how to file an EEOC charge, visit the claims section.