Multiple Sclerosis For Dummies
Book image
Explore Book Buy On Amazon

A diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS) means developing a strong relationship with your doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals. They can work with you to manage your symptoms, slow the disease course, and cope with day-to-day challenges. The following are the important members of your healthcare team:

  • Neurologist (or in some situations it may be a nurse practitioner or physician assistant): Diagnoses and treats MS and other neurologic diseases.

  • Nurse: Provides education and support for all treatment issues.

  • Primary care physician: Manages non-MS health issues and preventive care.

  • Rehabilitation specialists: Promote independence, safety, and quality of life. For example, consider the following:

    • Physiatrist: A physician specializing in rehabilitation medicine.

    • Physical therapist: Promotes strength, mobility, and balance through exercise and training in the use of mobility aids.

    • Occupational therapist: Promotes function in activities of daily living via energy management, assistive technology, and environmental modifications (may also treat cognitive symptoms).

    • Speech/language pathologist: Diagnoses and treats problems with voice quality, speech, and swallowing (may also treat cognitive symptoms).

    • Vocational rehabilitation counselor: Assists with career planning and retraining.

  • Mental health professionals: Provide diagnosis, treatment, and support for a wide range of emotional issues, as well as education for stress management, goal-setting, and problem-solving strategies.

    • Psychiatrist: A physician specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of mental health problems.

    • Psychotherapist (psychologist, social worker, counselor): Provides counseling, information, and support for individuals and families.

    • Neuropsychologist: Diagnoses and treats cognitive symptoms.

  • Additional medical specialists: Provide specialized expertise in medical areas that may be impacted by MS or are of particular interest to folks with MS.

    • Neuroophthalmologist: A physician specializing in neurologically related visual symptoms.

    • Urologist: A physician specializing in urinary problems and male sexual function.

    • *Obstetrician/gynecologist: A physician specializing in women’s reproductive care.

About This Article

This article is from the book:

About the book authors:

Rosalind Kalb, Ph.D., Barbara Giesser, MD, and Kathleen Costello, ANP-BC, have over 80 years' combined professional experience in working with people living with multiple sclerosis. For each of them, MS was, is, and will be their chosen career.

This article can be found in the category: