Keto Appetizer Recipe: Cheese Chips and Guacamole
Keto appetizers focus on eliminating carbs while losing none of the flavor; in fact, this recipe and increases the “deliciousness factor” to the greatest extent possible. If the food you make is boring, that’s a failure on your part, not a reflection of the ingredients available to you within the keto diet plan.
Many traditional appetizers rely on small amounts of carbs: They’re not really crucial to the food, but people have come to think of them as such. For example, when was the last time you were at a party and someone was eating guacamole, and then just stopped, looked around, and exclaimed in a loud voice: “Oh my gosh, these chips are amazing!” If you’re hearing a compliment about chips and guacamole, it almost always centers on how delicious the dip itself is — the chip is just a delivery system for an explosion of flavor.
The chips in this receipt for Cheese Chips and Guacamole do double duty—they have a whole lot of flavor on their own and deliver that burst from the guacamole.
You’ll find that many appetizers are like this: If you want chicken wings, the focus is on the wings and the taste, which can be produced using either low-carb or high-carb methods and ingredients.
Low-carb appetizers and keto diet snacks are a great way to introduce non-keto-ers to the lifestyle. Also try Crispy Baked Onion Rings.
Cheese Chips and Guacamole
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 medium avocado, chopped
1/2 small tomato, diced
1 tablespoon minced white onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese in circles on the baking sheet, using about 1 tablespoon per circle, spacing them 1 inch apart.
- Top the cheese with a pinch of garlic powder and cayenne.
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes, checking often, until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Remove from the baking sheet and let cool until crisp.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado and then stir in the tomato, onion, lime juice, cilantro, and cumin.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the guacamole with the cheddar cheese chips for dipping.
Per serving: Calories 250 (From Fat 187); Fat 21g (Saturated 7g); Cholesterol 30mg; Sodium 469mg; Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 3g); Net Carbohydrate 7g; Protein 10g.