How to Create a Password for a Local Account in Windows 10
Microsoft offers a local account option on your Windows 10 computer. A local account allows for you or your guests to sign in to your computer without logging in to your Microsoft account. If you plan to allow guests to use your computer, you may want to protect it with a password. Follow these simple steps to create a password for a local account:
- On the Start screen, select your name. From the drop-down menu that appears, choose Change Account Settings.
The Settings app opens to the Accounts screen.
- On the left, select Sign-in Options.
- If you don’t have a password but want one, select the Add button under Password.
The buttons available under Sign-in Options depend on your current setup. You may see buttons that enable you to create, change, or remove a particular setting.
- In the Create a Password screen, enter a password in the New Password box.
For a local account, the password can be any length. But, it’s always a good idea to follow best practices to choose a secure password.
- In the Reenter Password box, enter the password again.
- Enter a hint to remind yourself — and no one else — about your password.
- Select Finish. If any error messages appear, correct the entries and select Next again.