How to Import Content into Salesforce Marketing Cloud’s Content Builder
If you need to import content into the Salesforce Marketing Cloud Content Builder, look no further. If you began storing content in the Classic Content tool in the Email app and now want to move it to Salesforce Marketing Cloud Content Builder or you have content from outside Marketing Cloud, you will need the information here.
Any content you already have organized in the Classic Content tool of the Email app does not appear in Content Builder automatically. You have to import that content.
You don’t have to import all the content at once, which is a helpful option if you’ve accumulated old folders in your content libraries that you don’t want cluttering up Content Builder. In addition, you don’t have to keep the previous organization structure when you import. You can map the folders from the Classic Content tool to new folders that you’ve already created in Content Builder.
The Content Builder folders to which you import must already exist, so be sure to create folders before you begin the import. After you begin the import, you can’t stop or undo it; so it’s worth your effort to put up-front time into the design of your folder structure.
How to import content from Classic Content to Content Builder
To import content from the Classic Content tool, use these steps:
- From the Content Builder app, click the Import button, above the toolbar on the right side of the screen. An Import Assistant window appears to walk you through the steps of importing content.
- Follow the instructions in each step of the Import Assistant:
- Introduction: Simply welcomes you to the Import Assistant. Read the content and click Next.
- Select Method: Asks whether you want to import your old folder structure along with your assets. Either way, you have the opportunity to select the particular assets to import. Choose an option and click Next.
- Select Content: Offers check boxes next to each folder in your Classic Content tool. Select the check boxes next to the folders that contain the content you want to import. If you selected Content Only in the Select Method step, this step also offers the ability to choose the destination folder. When you’re ready, click Import.
The system moves everything you import to the same folder, so if you want to import to multiple folders in Content Builder, you must execute the Import Assistant once for each folder.
- Import Progress: Shows the progress of the import process. Depending on how many assets you chose to import, this process could take quite a while. You don’t need to keep the Import Assistant open during the entire import. It will finish the import in the background and notify you when it is complete.
Uploading content outside Marketing Cloud
You create many kinds of content directly in Content Builder. But some kinds of content — especially images, videos, audio clips, and documents that you send as attachments — you create in other tools outside Marketing Cloud and then upload to Content Builder.
To upload a file, use these steps:
- From the Content Builder app, navigate to the folder that will contain the uploaded file.
You can move the file later if you need to.
- Click the Create button (above the toolbar on the right side of the screen) and choose Upload from the menu that appears. A window appears to allow you to navigate your computer to find the files you want to import.
- Select the file that you want to upload and click Open. A box appears as a preview of the file to upload. The box contains a Pending Upload and Publish message. Not coincidentally, an Upload and Publish button appears above the preview box.
- Click Upload and Publish.
Salesforce Marketing Cloud uses a third-party content delivery service that specializes in delivering your assets quickly and reliably when your subscriber’s email client requests them from the server. By clicking Upload and Publish, you’re instructing Marketing Cloud to send your assets to that content delivery service.