Credit Repair Kit For Dummies, 4th Edition
Book image
Explore Book Buy On Amazon

The law allows you to request an investigation of any information in your credit report that you believe is outdate, inaccurate, or incomplete. Check your credit report, and if you see information that looks unfamiliar or wrong, file a dispute letter with the credit bureau in question. Send your dispute letter by certified mail, return-receipt requested, so you can document the fact that the letter was mailed and received. Keep copies of your dispute letter and enclosures.

[Credit: ©]
Credit: ©

Use this letter template to contact a creditor about an error you find on your credit report.

Creditor Name
RE: Name on Account:
Account #:
To Whom It May Concern:
In reviewing my credit report, I noticed the following discrepancy reported by your company regarding the account listed above:
ABC Bank, Account #123456
Current balance on credit report is $1,500.00
My records show this balance paid in full as of February 17, 2014.
I requested a reinvestigation through [insert name of credit bureau] and was informed that the information listed is correct. I have enclosed copies of [insert names of documents], which show the error.
Please review this matter and correct this discrepancy. Contact me in writing within 30 days to verify that this request has been completed.
Your Name
Phone Number

About This Article

This article is from the book:

About the book author:

Steve Bucci, BA, MA, is a personal finance expert and a nationally syndicated columnist whose column is carried by the financial megasite and the Scripps Howard News Service.

This article can be found in the category: