The GoldMine Interface
If you are sitting in front of GoldMine for the first time, you will quickly become comfortable with the navigation because it’s very much like many other applications. Read on to understand the Goldmine user-interface.
The Main menu
The Main menu bar appears at the top of the screen just below the title bar. It contains all the general categories of functions, each of which displays a pull-down menu when you click the mouse over it.
Those of you coming from an older version of GoldMine can have your “old timers” menu structure back by choosing Tools –> Options –> System and selecting the Use Classic GoldMine Menu option. Of course, doing so will delay your effort to get used to the new screens.
The following list describes all the options available to you from the Main menu.
- File: Create new contact records, print reports, Import/Export data, and log in options. You also exit GoldMine gracefully from here.
- Edit: Cut, copy, and paste your data; edit various record properties; edit, delete, and undo changes to Contact records.
- Go To: Access all of Goldmine’s modules, as well as Analysis and Reporting tools.
- Tools: Access tools and wizards for synchronization, configuring GoldMine, managing databases, creating and running Automated Processes, Server Agents, globally replacing data, Synchronization tools, territory realignment, and launching the Database Alias Manager and QuickStart Wizard.
- Actions: Access GoldMine communication tools and timer commands and manage mail merge functions.
- Schedule: Access scheduling options for the contact record, including scheduling a call or an appointment, scheduling literature to be sent out, scheduling forecasted sales, follow-up actions, and GoldMine e-mails.
- Complete: Access completed action options for scheduled and unscheduled calls, appointments, sales, other actions, correspondence, and other pending activities.
- Web: Access GM+Browser, Web publishing, and other online options.
- Window: Window display and status bar display options. Also open new Contact Record windows.
- Help: Online Help, the GoldMine Web site, NetUpdate, and important system information in About GoldMine.
The Global Toolbar
The Global Toolbar is directly beneath the Main menu. It is completely customizable. It has two sections — the Standard Toolbar and the Taskbar. The buttons displayed throughout the Global Toolbar provide shortcuts to specific functions that you regularly perform.
The Navigation Pane
A new feature in GoldMine Premium Edition, the Navigation Pane essentially mirrors the Go To option from the Main menu. The Navigation Pane also offers additional viewing and navigation options, depending on the module selected. The Navigation Pane contains the following four sections:
- Search field, which lets you search for one or more records in your database. Enter a contact name and click the Go button.
- Title bar, which displays the title for the currently selected module. Click the Title Bar or the double arrows to the right to minimize or maximize the Navigation Pane.
- View window, which displays the most recent records you’ve accessed.
- Module menu, which replaces the menu options from the Navigation Pane if you reduce the size of the Navigation Pane by dragging down the dotted line that appears just above the Contacts list. If you are comfortable with using these icons, you can increase the real estate available in the View window.