How to Replace Tour Medicare Cards - dummies

How to Replace Tour Medicare Cards

By Patricia Barry

Copyright © 2015 AARP. All rights reserved.

Medicare cards don’t just get lost or stolen; they may also become tattered and even difficult to read. Whatever the reason, you can easily get a replacement for your Medicare card by calling Social Security at 800-772-1213 (or TTY 800-325-0778) or by applying online. Your new card will take about 30 days to arrive in the mail.

If you need a card sooner, contact your local Social Security office. (You can find phone numbers for your local SSA office in the phone book. Or go to the SSA office locator.)

If the card you need replaced comes from any of the private plans — for a Medicare Advantage plan, a stand-alone Part D plan, or a Medigap policy — you should contact the insurance company that issued it. If you lose a Medicaid card, contact your state Medicaid program. (For contact information, do a web search for “Medicaid” and the name of your state.) This range of providers is a good reason for writing down a list of any insurance plans you have, with contact information for each, and keeping it in a safe place.