How to Contact an Ombudsman for a Medicare Appeal - dummies

How to Contact an Ombudsman for a Medicare Appeal

By Patricia Barry

Copyright © 2015 AARP

An ombudsman is a person appointed to investigate and resolve complaints in a particular situation. Two types are especially useful for people involved in Medicare disputes:

  • The Medicare Beneficiary Ombudsman’s office: This office receives and looks into complaints, helps resolve them, and, if it identifies any trends behind them, makes recommendations for changes of policy. You can’t normally contact this office directly, but you can ask for complaints to be sent there by calling the Medicare help line (800-633-4227 or TTY 877-486-2048) or going through your State Health Insurance Assistance Program.

  • Long-term care ombudsmen: These folks are appointed to look after the interests of people in nursing homes and other long-term care (LTC) facilities, act as their advocates, and troubleshoot problems on their behalf. Each state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Guam have LTC ombudsmen. For contact info, go to the website or call your local Agency on Aging (see the state pages of your local phone book).