Caprese Pasta: Easy-to-Prepare Family Meal for Weight Loss Surgery Patients
When tomatoes and basil are fresh, enjoy this flavorful, family-friendly meal. It’s also great in a lunch box, cold or warm. Serve with a side of sliced fruit and you have a complete meal.
- Caprese: Tomato Basil Mozzarella Pasta
- Slice of fruit
See the following table for serving sizes:
|WLS Patient||Kids Age 2 to 8||Older Kids and Adults|
|Caprese Pasta||1/2 to 1 cup||1/2 to 1 cup||1 to 2 cups|
|Sliced fresh melon||2 to 4 tablespoons||1/4 to 1/2 cup||1/2 to 1 cup|
Caprese: Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Pasta
Stage: Soft or regular foods
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 ounces dried or fresh linguine pasta
1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
2 ounces part-skim mozzarella, cubed
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the olive oil and the pasta.
- If you’re using fresh pasta, cook according to package directions, and then drain and cool.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, olive oil, and vinegar.
- When the pasta is cooled (about 15 minutes), add the basil and mozzarella.
Per Serving: Calories 371 (From Fat 209); Fat 23g (Saturated 5g); Cholesterol 18mg; Sodium 478mg; Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 3g); Protein 12g; Sugar 6g.