Tools for Collecting and Analyzing VOC Data
Given that there are so many different ways to gather online customer feedback, it can be overwhelming to develop a formal voice of the customer (VOC) strategy, especially if you have limited resources. Fortunately, as VOC and customer experience have evolved in the digital world, there are also tools available to help collect and analyze customer feedback.
Most of these tools also enable you to collect the data in real-time, as customers are interacting with your site, which boosts the usefulness of the feedback. Here are some of the top VOC tools:
- Feedbackify: A simple solution that allows you to receive real-time feedback from your website visitors. Users simply click on a widget on a website page and can provide feedback in the forms of ratings and comments on a form (which you customize for your site). In addition to being easy to deploy and use, it’s also inexpensive at $19 per month for all features.
- UserVoice: Designed for use with product development, this VOC tool is particularly useful for online businesses that want serious feedback on features, functionality, or new products. UserVoice operates as a forum and allows customers to vote on and discuss suggestions and send feedback in “tickets.” It’s easy for users to access and doesn’t require registration. This more robust solution is a bit more expensive at $199 per month for its starter bundle.
- Poll Everywhere: This tool extends beyond your website, to anywhere you are interacting with customers. It allows you to easily create polls (several format options are available) and then lets customers respond or vote from their smartphones, social media, or web browsers. If you’re working with focus groups or sending polls through e-mail, this is an ideal and affordable solution at $19 per month.
- UsabilityTools: A full suite of performance and tracking tools for your website, this solution includes a Voice of Customer function within its vast toolkit. Add widgets to your site with simple code to enable the VOC feature as well as a host of other features, including A/B testing, conversion rate optimization, and in-page analytics, to name a few. This tool is priced based on user sessions and starts at $19 per month.
- UserZoom: If you have a large, complex online business there are solutions, such as UserZoom, that tackles all areas of usability, user experience (UX) design, and customer research. Because it’s built for really large organizations, this is a robust but pricey option that starts at $12,000 per year.
A/B testing is a method for comparing which one of two website elements performs best. In digital marketing, A/B testing is frequently used to determine what CTA (call to action) on a website gets more clicks. For example, if everything is the same (the images, the offer, and so on) except for the text on the CTA button, you would show some of your website visitors an offer with a CTA button that has the text “Buy Now” and show other website visitors the same offer but with a CTA button text “Add to Cart.” You could then determine which button text prompted more visitors to place products into shopping carts. Once you had a winner, that option would be the text to use permanently (or until you tested another batch of text).