How to Register as an Organization on - dummies

How to Register as an Organization on

By Beverly A. Browning

An organization registration on is for an individual who is responsible for submitting a grant on behalf of a company; state, local, or tribal government; academic or research institution; nonprofit; or any other institution.

In order to get your organization registered to submit grant applications on the system, you need to follow these steps:

  1. Obtain a D-U-N-S number.

    D-U-N-S stands for Data Universal Number System; a D-U-N-S number is a common tracking number for doing business with the government (federal, state, and local). All D-U-N-S numbers are provided by Dun & Bradstreet. You can request this number online; the turnaround time is up to two business days. You can also call 1-866-705-5711 to receive a D-U-N-S number that same day.

    Before you apply for a D-U-N-S number, ask your grant administrator or CFO whether your organization already has one. You can also search online for an existing D-U-N-S number. Select your country or territory from the pull-down menu, click Continue, then choose Continue to Government iUpdate to start your search.

  2. Register with the System for Award Management (SAM) at

    This new agency system replaces the old Central Contractor Registry (CCR). If your organization already has a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN), your SAM registration will take three to five days to process. If you’re just applying for your TIN, it will take two weeks to process and will delay your registration.

    The information requested at is similar to what your organization submits in its annual IRS tax return, such as name of organization, address, contact person, and contact person’s information. You also have to upload the organization’s banking information (the bank’s tracking number and the organization’s bank account number) to facilitate electronic banking between the government and your organization.

  3. Create a username and password with the credential provider.

    You can create your own username and set a password on the and websites. After you complete all your information, you get directed back to to complete your registration with the access-point information. This is a same-day process.

    On, you’ll find some new terms, namely MPIN and TPIN. An MPIN, or Marketing Partner ID Number, is a personal code consisting of nine characters; it’s mandatory if you want to use TPIN stands for Trading Partner Identification Number; it’s a confidential number assigned to organizations that currently are or intend to become federal contractors.

  4. Obtain AOR Authorization.

    If you’re not the E-Business Point of Contact (E-Biz POC) at your organization, have that person log in to to confirm you as an Authorized Organization Representative (AOR). Only an AOR can log on and conduct business or grant-related transactions with the federal government. Your organization may have more than one AOR, or the AOR and E-Biz POC may be one and the same.

    An AOR can log in using the username and password obtained in Step 3 to track his AOR status and see whether he has been approved by the E-Biz POC.

    Logging in as an applicant is instantaneous, but you have to wait to become an AOR until your organization’s E-Biz POC logs in and approves you as an AOR. Watch your e-mail from and!