But sides like Cauliflower Mash and Browned Butter really add that zest and full-bodied flavor to meals! Your palate is expanded, and the various tastes that sides bring to the table can make or break a new dish.
This recipe takes an old favorite (mashed potatoes) and introduces a keto-friendly way to prepare the dish by using cauliflower instead of potatoes. Don’t dismiss recipes like this outright — substitute ingredients almost always taste different than the original dish, but this isn’t always bad.
Photograph courtesy of Tasteaholics, Inc.
Use Cauliflower Mash and Browned Butter as a side dish for your entrée. In this case, chicken is shown. Side dishes are an excellent option to bring to parties or events where keto-friendly food may be in short supply. You can even turn it into a game—see how many compliments you can get on a recipe before revealing that it’s keto!
Cauliflower Mash and Browned ButterPrep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse into rice-like grains.
- Pour the cauliflower rice into a large saucepan; then add the heavy cream.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce the heat and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, and then stir in the cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Cook the butter until it reaches a nice amber color; then drizzle over the cauliflower mash.