GED Test 2022 / 2023 For Dummies with Online Practice
Book image
Explore Book Buy On Amazon
If you want to do well on the Mathematical Reasoning section of the GED test, you'll need to be familiar with the following four major areas:
  • Algebra, equations, and patterns
  • Data analysis, statistics, and probability
  • Measurement and geometry
  • Number operations
More specifically, about 45 percent of the questions focus on quantitative problem solving and the other about 55 percent focuses on algebraic problem solving. You have 115 minutes to complete 45 questions. The Mathematical Reasoning (Math) test has many of the same types of problems as the other sections (multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and so on).

To succeed on the Math test, you should have a good grasp of the basic operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You should be able to perform these operations quickly and accurately and, in the case of simple numbers, perform them mentally. The more automatic and accurate your responses are, the less time you'll need for each item, and the greater your chances are of finishing the test on time with a few minutes to spare to check any items you may have skipped or answers you want to double-check.

The other skill you should try to master is reading quickly and accurately. Most of the items are written in English prose and you're expected to know how to answer the item from the passage presented. Try to increase your reading speed and test yourself for accuracy. If you are a slow reader, type "speed reading" in any Internet search engine to get some hints. You can check for accuracy by writing down what you think you read without looking at the passage and seeing how close you can come to it. More important than knowing whether you can recall each and every word is knowing how accurate you are so that you can compensate for issues before the test.

About This Article

This article is from the book:

About the book author:

Tim Collins, PhD, has worked in the field of education for over 40 years, and has taught learners of all ages and backgrounds. For over 25 years, he has specialized in materials development for the GED® test, and he has helped countless learners prepare for and pass this life-changing test.

This article can be found in the category: