Profile Photos in Skype for Business
Skype for Business is designed to be a beautiful and social experience for the users. The high-quality treatment of profile pictures gives you a sense of actually seeing the face of the person you’re talking to. If a picture isn’t sufficient, sharing video is merely a couple of clicks away.
The first order of the day when you use Skype for Business is to ensure you have a profile photo. Usually, the photo in Skype for Business is pulled from the About Me page in Office 365. To add or edit your photo, follow these steps:
- While logged in to Office 365, click on your photo (or the placeholder photo) on the Office 365 navigation bar (top right).
- Click About Me.
- From your profile page, click Edit profile.
- Click Change your photo from the Basic Information tab.
- From the new window that opens, click Upload photo, find a photo from your computer, and then click Open.
- When your new photo is displayed, click Save.
Back in the Skype for Business application, your photo should now display at the top along with your presence and location information. When people IM or call you, they’ll be looking at your photo while you’re interacting with them, giving them a sense of an in-person conversation. During online meetings, your photo will be displayed prominently — bigger than the other participants’ — when you are speaking, so a high resolution photo is ideal (see the following figure).
Having the system automatically update your presence based on your Outlook calendar is important so people you work with will be confident of your presence state. If presence state were manually updated and people forget to update their presence, then the confidence level would decrease and so would productivity.