Be sure to get answers to the following questions before engaging a consultant:
- What are the academic qualifications of the consultant? Does the consultant have a degree in genetics, biology, or a related field?
- How long has the consultant been involved in genetic genealogy?
- What is the assistance that you require? Some consultants specialize in a particular type of DNA analysis.
- Does the consultant have a relationship with a specific testing company?
- As DNA research changes over time, will the consultant update the research as new information becomes available, and how much will the consultant charge for that service?