Common Site Templates in SharePoint 2016
A site template is what you use when you create a new SharePoint site. A site template just provides you with a starting setup for SharePoint. For example, if you choose a Team Site template then the site you create will include SharePoint components designed for a team. Things like a Documents App, Calendar App, Tasks App, and timeline visualization.
There are a number of site templates available in SharePoint 2016. Site templates are grouped into categories such as Collaboration, Enterprise, and Publishing.
The site templates that you have available depend on the SharePoint edition you are using as well as the features you have activated. For example, the Business Intelligence Center template is only available with the Enterprise license. And the Publishing sites are only available when you have the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure activated.
The site templates you should be familiar with include:
- Team Site: A template designed for teams to collaborate, share documents, and stay in sync.
- Blog: A template that produces a blog site.
- Project Site: A template that creates a site for managing and collaborating on a specific project.
- Community Site: A template designed to create a site that allows community members to congregate and discuss common interests.
- Document Center: A template designed for managing common documents in a central location
- Records Center: A template that creates a site to manage company records.
- Business Intelligence Center: A template with all of the functionality required for Business Intelligence in SharePoint.
- Enterprise Search Center: A template used to create a site for search. Includes a number of search results pages for specialized queries like searching people, conversations, videos, and general.
- Basic Search Center: A template used to create a general search center site. The basic lacks the multiple results pages of the enterprise class search center.
- Visio Process Repository: A template that you can choose when creating a site for storing business processes in Microsoft Office Visio format.
- Publishing Site: A template that creates a blank publishing site. A publishing site is used to publish web pages for mass consumption.
- Publishing Site with Workflow: A template that provides the capabilities of the Publishing Site template and also includes approval workflows.
- Enterprise Wiki: A template for creating a site to capture and store information from a group collective.