How to Activate Excel’s Power Pivot Add-In
The Power Pivot Ribbon interface is available only when you activate the Power Pivot Add-In. The Power Pivot Add-In does not install with every edition of Office. For example, if you have Office Home Edition, you cannot see or activate the Power Pivot Add-In and therefore cannot have access to the Power Pivot Ribbon interface.
As of this writing, the Power Pivot Add-In is available to you only if you have one of these editions of Office or Excel:
- Office 2013 or 2016 Professional Plus: Available only through volume licensing
- Office 365 Pro Plus: Available with an ongoing subscription to Office365.com
- Excel 2013 or Excel 2016 Stand-alone Edition: Available for purchase via any retailer
If you have any of these editions, you can activate the Power Pivot add-in by following these steps:
- Open Excel and look for the Power Pivot tab on the Ribbon.
If you see the tab, the Power Pivot add-in is already activated. You can skip the remaining steps.
- Go to the Excel Ribbon and choose File→Options.
- Choose the Add-Ins option on the left, and then look at the bottom of the dialog box for the Manage drop-down list. Select COM Add-Ins from that list, and then click Go.
- Look for Microsoft Office Power Pivot for Excel in the list of available COM add-ins, and select the check box next to this option. Click OK.
- If the Power Pivot tab does not appear in the Ribbon, close Excel and restart.
After installing the add-in, you should see the Power Pivot tab on the Excel Ribbon, as shown.