Deciding What to Blog About
You may find picking a niche and sticking with it tough to do. Fortunately, blogging gives you a lot of leeway in handling a subject, evolving your own style, and choosing what you blog about. The medium allows for a lot of experimentation, and your readers will likely welcome new approaches and ideas while you go.
To begin your blogging journey, however, you probably want to pick one broad theme and then explore within that theme. Do you like books? Why not blog about what you’re reading and make recommendations? You can then take a natural leap to movies based on books, and then authors … and onward from there. Starting with a simple idea can give you a lot of room to grow.
Some subject areas have worked as popular and successful blog topics already. You can join existing blogging communities and start a blog about
- Your kids: Blogs are a great online tool that parents can use to document their parenting experience and their children’s growth. The parent blogging community is on the rise in a big way for both moms and dads. Talk about a topic that has an infinite variety of discussions, products, problems, and cute photos!
- Your hobby or interest: Blogs are beautifully suited to help you make connections, so feel free to use yours to become part of a community of folks who share your passion for knitting, sport fishing, geocaching, carpentry, or whatever your interest is.
- Technology: Many of the original bloggers chose technology as their focus — a great decision. People have a huge interest in technology and technology issues today. After all, everyone uses technology throughout her day, and everyone experiences problems doing so!
- Politics: Because of its often polarizing and sometimes divisive nature, political commentary and criticism makes for great blog fodder. A number of popular political bloggers have even turned their online punditry into thriving careers in traditional media as commentators.
- Specialized news: Offer a service for your busy readers by aggregating all the news on a particular topic, including quick tidbits and links to sources. You can create this kind of blog for both serious and comic topics — from cranial surgery techniques to coverage of the latest teen sensation.
- A personal diary: If your life is full of crazy adventures, colorful figures, drama, passion, and ludicrous jokes, you can stick with the tried-and-true blog subject: You. With a unique voice and great writing, you can attract readers who can become friends.
- Deals and coupons: One of the most active online communities consists of deal-seekers. If you love deal matching and coupon finding, this may be your perfect blog niche.
- Do-It-Yourself and lifestyle: Do you look at trash and see treasure? Is organizing a hobby rather than a burden? The world of lifestyle, design, or DIY blogging may be a fit for you!