How to Create a Text Post for Your Tumblr Blog
Tumblr allows you to create blog posts by using text, photos, quotes, links, chat excerpts, audio files, and video. Create a quick text post in your Tumblr blog by following these steps:
- Click the Text Post icon (a capital and lowercase letter A) on your Tumblr dashboard.
Tumblr displays the Add a Text Post page.
- (Optional) Give your blog post a title in the Title field.
- Type the text of your blog post in the Post field.
Use as much or as little text as you want.
If you’re ready, you can post to your blog right now by clicking Publish, or you can spend a little time making your post fancy.
Formatting your blog post
Tumblr, like most blog software, gives you the ability to format your blog post while you create it. The icons appear above the content field when you highlight the content, enabling you to format what you’ve written.
Tumblr uses a WYSIWG (what you see is what you get) interface, which shows you the effect of a tool in your blog post right when you apply it. This list describes each of the available tools (following the order of the icons from left to right):
- Bold: Make any text in your blog post bold by clicking and dragging over the text that you want to affect and then clicking the Bold icon. The selected text is made bold.
- Italic: Italicize any text in your blog post by clicking and dragging over the text that you want to affect and then clicking the Italic icon. The selected text is then shown in italics.
- Heading: This transforms your content into a larger font, appropriate for a section heading within your post.
- Insert/Edit Link: Make any text or image in your blog a clickable link to any website..
- Strikethrough: This style is commonly applied to text that you need to correct. Click and drag over the text that you want to affect and then click the Strikethrough icon. The selected text is then made strikethrough.
- Ordered List: In web browsers, ordered lists usually appear as numbered lists. You can most easily use this tool by typing each list item into your blog post on a separate line. Click and drag to select all the items; then click the Ordered List icon.
- Unordered List: In web browsers, unordered lists are usually displayed as bulleted lists (like this list you’re reading right now). You can most easily use this tool by typing each list item into your blog post on a separate line. Click and drag to select all the items; then click the Unordered List icon.
Adding an image to your post
Blog posts are more fun with photos! If you want to add an image to a text blog post on your Tumblr blog, you can upload a digital image directly from your computer. Simply click the plus sign next to your Text Post window to make the toolbar appear. Click the camera icon and select an image file from your computer.
Uploading pictures that don’t belong to you? Don’t forget to respect copyright law!
Adding links to your post
Links add a lot of value to a blog post by giving your readers the resources to explore a topic further or find more information about your discussion or idea. As long as you link to useful information, don’t hesitate to add links to your posts.
You can add links to both text and images. Follow these steps:
- Select text or click an image in your blog post.
- Click the Link tool (it’s a small piece of chain).
Tumblr opens the Insert/Edit Link window.
- Type or paste a URL into the Link URL text box.
- Click the Done button to add the link to the text or photo in your blog post.
If you want to remove a link that you’ve created, you can easily do it. Simply click the text or photo on which you placed a link, and then click the Link tool.
Publishing your post
When you finish everything that you want to do to your blog post, it’s time to publish! Simply click the Post button, and your post appears on your blog for others to view.
Click the Publish drop-down list to save your post without publishing it or to set a date in the future to launch it.
You don’t need to be sitting in front of a computer in order to post to your Tumblr blog! You can also post via email, app, and even phone call.