How to Use the Tape Measure Tool in SketchUp
Consider that you’ve been working away in SketchUp, not paying particular attention to how big anything in your model is, when you suddenly decide that you need what you’ve made to be a specific size. SketchUp has a terrific trick for taking care of this exact situation: You can use the Tape Measure tool to resize your whole model based on a single measurement.
Here’s how this tool works: In the image below, a simple staircase has been started. Making sure that it’s the right size will make working on it easier. Because you know the riser height, the vertical distance between the steps, should be 7 inches, this is what you do:
- Select the Tape Measure tool on the toolbar or the Tools menu.
- To put the Tape Measure in Measure mode, press the Ctrl key (Option on the Mac) so that the plus sign (+) next to the Tape Measure cursor disappears.
- Click once to start measuring the distance that will change (in this case, the riser height) and click again to stop.
- Type the desired dimension (7 for 7 inches).
- In the dialog box, confirm the resize by clicking Yes.
After you click the Yes button, his whole model is resized proportionately to the dimension he entered.