Where You Can Put the GI Bill to Use - dummies

Where You Can Put the GI Bill to Use

By Rod Powers

Part of Veterans Benefits For Dummies Cheat Sheet

You can use your GI Bill benefits to pay for almost any education program that leads to an accredited college degree or to an occupational objective. The programs listed here are examples of the types of approved training programs for which GI Bill benefits are payable.

  • An undergraduate or graduate degree at a college or university, including

    • An accredited independent study program (which may be offered through distance education) leading to a standard college degree.

    • A cooperative (co-op) training program (a full-time program alternating school instruction and job training in a business or industrial establishment).

  • A certificate or diploma from a business, technical, or vocational school, including co-op programs.

  • An accredited independent study course leading to a certificate from a college, university, or other degree-granting educational institution.

  • An apprenticeship or on-job training (OJT) program offered by a company or union. Apprenticeships or OJT programs offer an alternative to college or vocational school for helping you gain experience in the field you choose.

  • A correspondence course.

  • Flight training. You must have a private pilot certificate and meet the medical requirements for the desired certificate when you begin training.

  • Programs overseas that lead to a college degree.