2 Bread Recipes Featuring Honey
Beekeepers often have an overabundance of honey. If you’re looking for some ideas on how to use that honey, try these two tasty bread recipes.
These two recipes are from the National Honey Board. For additional recipes featuring honey, be sure to visit its website or write to the National Honey Board, 11409 Business Park Circle, Ste. 210, Firestone, CO 80504-9200; phone 303-776-2337.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
3 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk or low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup honey
3 eggs, beaten
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
- Combine buttermilk, butter, honey, and eggs in separate large bowl.
- Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Pour into greased 12-x-8-x-2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and cut into 8 squares.
PER SERVING (PER SQUARE): Calories: 552 (From Fat 27%); Fat: 17g; Cholesterol: 132mg; Sodium: 584mg; Carbohydrate: 8g (Dietary Fiber 9g); Protein: 19g.
Apricot Honey Bread
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
3 cups whole-wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-1/4 cups 2% low-fat milk
1 cup honey
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped, dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine the milk, honey, egg, and oil in a separate large bowl.
- Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.
- Gently fold in the apricots, nuts, and raisins.
- Pour into a greased 9-x-5-x-3-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
PER SERVING: Calories: 302 (From Fat 15%); Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Sodium: 154mg; Carbohydrate: 61g (Dietary Fiber 5g); Protein: 7g.