Broccoli Cheese Soup: Easy-to-Prepare Family Meal for Weight Loss Surgery Patients
This soup is a crowd pleaser and a good fit for most ages and tastes and can help make a great meal after your successful weight loss surgery. Make a double batch and enjoy for a few meals throughout the week.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Whole-grain crackers
- Sliced apples with cinnamon
See the following table for serving sizes:
|WLS Patient||Kids Age 2 to 8||Older Kids and Adults|
|Broccoli-Cheese Soup||1/2 to 1 cup||1/2 to 1 cup||1 to 2 cups|
|Whole-grain crackers||1/2 ounce, crushed||1 ounce serving||1 to 2 ounces|
|Sliced apples with cinnamon||1/4 cup||1/4 to 1/2 cup||1 cup|
|Milk||No beverages with meals!||1/2 to 3/4 cup||1 cup|
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Stage: Soft or regular foods
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 large shallot, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 large head broccoli or 1 pound fresh or frozen broccoli, chopped into 1- inch pieces
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large Russet potato, cubed
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup shredded lowfat cheddar cheese
- In a large soup pot, add the shallot and butter on medium heat. Stir until softened.
- Add the broccoli, stock, salt, and potato. Simmer 15 minutes or so until broccoli softens.
- Turn off the heat and add the milk. With a handheld blender, blend until smooth.
- Stir in the cheese with a wooden spoon or spatula until melted.
Per serving: Calories 150 (From Fat 41); Fat 5g (Saturated 3g); Cholesterol 11mg; Sodium 773mg; Carbohydrate 20g (Dietary Fiber 4g); Protein 10g; Sugar 4g.