How to Start a Bridge Game with the Right Stuff
Before you can begin to play Bridge, you need to outfit yourself with some basic supplies. Actually, you may already have some of these items around the house, just begging for you to use them in your Bridge game. What do you need? Here’s your bottom-line list:
- Four warm bodies, including yours. Just find three friends who are interested in playing. Don’t worry that no one knows what they’re doing. Everyone begins knowing nothing; some even end up that way.
- A table — a square one is best. In a pinch, you can play on a blanket, on a bed, indoors, outdoors, or even on a computer if you can’t find a game.
- One deck of playing cards (remove the jokers).
- A pencil and a piece of paper to keep score on. You can use any old piece of paper — a legal pad, the back of a grocery list, or even an ancient piece of papyrus will do.
Here are a few hints on how you can make getting started with the game a little easier:
- Watch a real Bridge game to observe the mechanics of the game.
- Follow the sample hands in this book by laying out the cards to correspond with the cards in the figures. Doing so gives you a feel for the cards and makes the explanations easier to follow.