Updating Your iPad’s Software
Apple occasionally updates the iPad system software (iOS) to fix problems or offer enhanced features. You can update manually or automatically. To update your software automatically, tap Settings→General→Software Update to update your software.
If you prefer to download updates yourself, follow these steps:
- Connect your iPad to your computer with the USB-to-Lightning cable that came with your iPad.
- Open iTunes on your computer.
If you don’t have iTunes installed, you can download it for free at iTunes.
- Select your iPad in the Devices list in iTunes.
- Click the Summary tab.
- Click the Check for Update button. iTunes displays a message telling you whether a new update is available.
- Click the Update button to install the newest version.
If you’re having problems with your iPad, you can use the Update feature to restore the current version of the software. Follow the preceding steps, but click Restore instead of Update in Step 6.