How the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X Compare to Older iPhones
If you plan to buy a newer iPhone, you’ll be looking at the iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus. Let’s see how they stack up against older iPhone models. The sizes of the iPhone 8 models vary:
- iPhone 8 measures 2.65” by 5.45” (4.7” diagonally) and 7.3 mm thick.
- iPhone 8 Plus measures 3.07” by 6.24” (5.5” diagonally) and 7.5 mm thick.
You can get iPhone 8 or 8 Plus in gold, silver, or space gray.
Other differences between iPhone 8 models come primarily from the current operating system, iOS 11.
iPhone 8 and 8 Plus models have a few variations:
- 3G talk time of up to 21 hours on 8 Plus and 14 hours on 8.
- iPhone 8 Plus has two rear-facing cameras, providing amazing optical zoom, Portrait mode, and other features, while 8 has a single rear-facing camera.
- Screen resolution: The higher the resolution, the crisper and brighter the phone display. The iPhone 8 provides 1334 x 750 resolution (more than 1 million pixels) and 8 Plus provides 1920 x 1080 (more than 2 million pixels).
iPhone X comes in either space gray or silver and its dimensions are 2.79” by 5.65” (5.8” diagonally) and 7.7 mm thick. It also sports a Super Retina HD display with 2436 x 1125 resolution.
Check the table below for a quick comparison of iPhone SE, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, and X (models currently sold by Apple). All costs may vary with time. (Some carriers may introduce non-contract terms.)
|Model||Storage||Cost (may vary
|SE||32 and 128GB||from $349||AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile|
|6s||32 and 128GB||from $449||AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile|
|6s Plus||32 and 128GB||from $549||AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile|
|7||32 and 128GB||from $549||AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile|
|7 Plus||32 and 128GB||from $669||AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile|
|8||64 and 256GB||from $699||AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile|
|8 Plus||64 and 256GB||from $799||AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile|
|X||64 and 256GB||from $999||AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile|
One exciting pricing option is the iPhone Upgrade Program. You choose your carrier, get an unlocked phone so you can change carriers, and receive Apple Care + to cover you in case your phone has problems, all starting at a cost of $34.50 a month (depending on the iPhone model you select). Data usage from your carrier will come on top of that.