Learning iPhone X Gestures
Following is a brief summary of the iPhone X’s new “intuitive” (according to Apple) gestures, along with their old-school (pre-iPhone X) equivalents.
- Go Home: Swipe up from the bottom to return to the Home screen or to return to the first page of Home screens from other pages.
Old-school equivalent: Tap the Home button.
- Switch apps: Swipe up and pause without lifting your finger to invoke the app switcher. Or swipe right along the bottom to switch to the last app you used, as shown in the figure.
Old-school equivalent: Double-tap the Home button.
To close a running app in the app switcher, press down on the card representing the app until the circled dash appears and swipe up.
- Open Control Center: Swipe down from the top-right corner to open Control Center. Press firmly on any control or group of controls to see additional options.
Old-school equivalent: Swipe up from the bottom.
To add or remove items from Control Center, tap Settings→Control Center→Customize Controls.
- See Notifications: Swipe down from the top-left corner to see notifications.
Old-school equivalent: Swipe down from the top.
- Invoke Siri: Hold down the side button and speak; when you’re finished talking, release the button.
Old-school equivalent: Hold down the Home button and speak.
- Use Apple Pay: Double-click the side button and then glance at the screen to authenticate with Face ID or enter your passcode.
Old-school equivalent: Authenticate with Touch ID or enter your passcode.
- Take a screen shot: Quickly press and release both the side button and the volume up button at the same time.
Old-school equivalent: Quickly press and release both the side (or sleep/wake) button and the Home button at the same time.
- Turn off the phone: Press and hold down the side button and either volume button until sliders appear on the screen. Drag the top slider to turn off the iPhone. Or go to Settings→General→Shut Down.
Old-school equivalent: Press and hold down the side button until sliders appear on the screen. Drag the top slider to turn off the iPhone.
- Do a force restart: Press and release the volume up button, press and release the volume down button, and then press and hold down the side button until the Apple logo appears.
Old-school equivalent: Press and release the appropriate combination of buttons for your specific model.