Getting Help When Your iPhone X Acts Up
Most of the time, your iPhone X behaves itself. But every so often it causes you problems. Here’s a quick review of things you can try if your iPhone X misbehaves.
Start with the first step —suggestions in later steps are more drastic.
- Restart your iPhone. Press and hold down the side button, and then slide the red slider to turn it off. Wait a few seconds. Press the side button to turn the iPhone back on.
- Force any frozen applications to quit. Press and hold down on the app in the app switcher, and then swipe upward.
- Reset and restart your iPhone. Press and release the volume up button, press and release the volume down button, and then press and hold down the side button until the Apple logo appears
- Reset the iPhone settings. Tap the Settings icon on your Home screen, and then tap General, Reset, and Reset All Settings. Resetting iPhone settings won’t erase your data, but you’ll probably have to change some settings afterwards.
- Restore your iPhone. Connect your iPhone to your computer as though you were about to sync. Then select the iPhone in the iTunes source list, and click the Restore button on the Summary tab.
This last suggestion erases all your data and media and resets all your settings.
Because your data and media (except photos you’ve taken as well as contacts, calendar events, and playlists you’ve created or modified since your last sync) still exist on your computer, you shouldn’t lose anything. Your next sync will take longer, and you will have to reset any settings you’ve changed since you purchased your iPhone. But your media and data files shouldn’t be affected.
One last thing: If you’re using iCloud, photos you’ve taken as well as calendar events and new contacts you’ve added since your last sync should be in the cloud and should reappear after you restore. The only items in danger, at least in theory, are playlists you’ve created on your iPhone since your last sync. That said, it wouldn’t hurt to let iTunes back up the contents of your iPhone before you click the Restore button.